Frequently Asked Questions

Why do you need a building permit?

     A building permit is an official approval issued by the City of Townsend that allows you or your contractor to proceed with construction or demolition on your property.  It is a license required by City Code that grants legal permission for a property owner to construct, enlarge, alter, repair or demolish a structure or equipment on their premises.

     Building standards are intended to ensure the safety of current and future owners/occupants and a building permit is intended to ensure that the owner and contractor comply with local and state building ordinances for land use, zoning, and construction.

     Securing a building permit before beginning work proves that your project has been reviewed and meet the necessary building standards and requirements of the City of Townsend.

How to obtain a building permit?

  •  Download the Residential application here and the Commercial permit here.
  •  Pick up in person at City Hall.
  • Call the City Building Inspector at (865) 448-6886. 

When Do I Need a Building Permit?

     A building permit is required for any substantial repairs, alterations, or new construction or additions to a residential or commercial property. Other projects that require a building permit include: grading, excavation, filling of land and parking areas, and relocating or replacing plumbing or appliances that are built into a structure. Any renovation (interior or exterior) that will change the structure or shape of the home requires a building permit. This includes knocking down loadbearing walls and adding new windows or door openings.

    NEED A PERMIT :                                                    DO NOT NEED A PERMIT :

    Replacing driveway                                                 Painting

    Adding new windows                                             Wallpapering

    Adding new door frames                                       Changing water faucets

    Adding or expanding a deck                                 Replacing wall plates

    Building a fence                                                      Removing old carpet/flooring/deck

    Adding a garage                                                      Cutting down trees

    Building a storage shed                                         Replacement of heat/air units

                                                                                       Replacing hot water heaters/dishwashers

                                                                                       New countertops

Questions about whether a permit is required for repairs or work on a residence should be directed to the City Building Inspector at (865) 448-6886.

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window